Monday 4 January 2016

Welcome Back to Everyone

It was a lovely start to the New Year!  Our students were very quiet but happy to be back!  We were missing our friend Kartik today, who will be away on a family trip for the month of January.  We would also like to welcome Claire to our class.  She has rejoined us here at Cranston after living in Asia for a while.

We spent most of the morning revisiting routines, particularly around Daily 5.  Most students have received new words for Word Work and should be practicing at home over the next two weeks using Spelling City.  The remainder of students will get their new words tomorrow.

I have set up Raz Kids for each student and tomorrow they will all have a chance to try to log in and to check the reading level assigned to them.  We would like all students to start using Raz Kids as a regular part of their home reading program.  There will be more to come on this tomorrow.

We jumped back into it this afternoon.  We continued our work on balanced equations in math.  We looked at what the true meaning of the equal sign in an equation. What we decided is that the = sign actually means balance.  What is on one side of the sign must balance the other side.  We worked with both numbers and symbols with this task.  Please share what we have done with your families.

Number Balance:

https://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=3530

Shape Balance:

http://illuminations.nctm.org/activity.aspx?id=3531

During our science inquiry we tried to finish up our scripts for our Mars review.  We will be working on filming them tomorrow and we hope to have them completed and into IRIS by the end of the week.

In gym, we like so many others looked at New Year's Fitness.  We started off our time with a running warm up, then we played "Who Let the Dogs Out"  this is a great activity that makes us work our heart and lungs.  We broke into groups and did Fitness Tic Tac Toe.  There were a lot of red faces after our workout.

We had a great surprise at the end of the day.  Mr. Demman surprised us and gave all of our a treat for Christmas.  He was very sick the last couple of days before our break.


Things to Remember:

1.) Indoor Shoes and water bottles are to be returned.
2.)  Little Warriors Presentation - Places on this January 21st workshop are limited. To register for a free place follow the below link to the Little Warriors website. Click on “register for an in person workshop.” Select Calgary from the drop down menu, you will then be able to select the above workshop and register.
Karrie Grummett
Cranston School
403-777-6267


Question of the Day:

We will be talking about goals over the next couple of days.  We want you to think about what part of your learning would you like to work on.  Keep in mind that with Growth Mindset we need to be frustrated a bit to grow our brains.  Please tell us in what subject you would like to grow in.  Write down one goal - what is one thing that we as teachers can help you reach your goal.

11 comments:

  1. My goal is going slower in my writing because I go a bit too fast and then it doesn't look neat. My teachers can help me by giving me something when i write really neat and slow.
    zabrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal is to get better at Math - Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to work on my reading and not adding words when I'm reading sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to work on my printing and writing. I would like it if my teachers could help me with sorting my words.

    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goal is to try really hard even when I am very frustrated. My teachers can say nice things to keep me trying.

    JARED

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to be better at reading. My goal is to sound out the words I don't know and remember them for next time. My teachers can tell me what every word sounds like.

    ALIYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goal is going to be getting better at reading because I really want to start reading More than I do.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goal is to do more reading because I have not done much in daily 5 or home.


    Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  9. using punctuation

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miller says my goal is to do terrific in writing (neater). It would help if the teachers gave us tips on writing neater.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goal is to use more punctuation in my writing.-Nick P

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments appropriate. We are all learning from the comments made. Thank you