Wednesday 27 January 2016

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Hello Friends,

We continued our Daily 5 work and today we focused on working with our new words.  Students completed their Bind Sort to check for words that might be tricky for them.  Afterward, we chose from Read to Self and Work on Writing.  Mrs. Zwack was working with her guided reading groups.

We watched more of the On the Way to School documentary today and were so surprised at how much effort some students must put forward to attend school each day.  We noticed that the children were so excited to go to school and didn't complain about the long journey.  Their parents and grandparents were very encouraging about getting a good education and expected good grades.

Can you remember the countries that the children were from?
Can you find these countries on a map of the world?

In math we continued our work on subtraction.  We looked at two digit subtraction with and without re-grouping.  We used base ten blocks to really "see" how this subtraction works.  We leaned a new game, "What's the difference?"

In science inquiry we looked at an article about tests that scientists are doing experiments in antarctica to see if there is life in the permafrost there.  If there is then they believe that there may be life on Mars because the two areas are so similar:  dry and cold.  They found that the microbes that they found were either dead or very dormant.  

We continued to try and add our goals and strategies into IRIS.  We are also trying to add our Mars videos into IRIS as well.  Please share these with your parents when you have added them.


Image result for Things to do


1.)  We have an assembly on Friday morning so our outdoor nature inquiry will be shortened.
2.)  Continue to practice subtraction in Mathletics.

Image result for question of the day


Which estimation strategy do you use the most?  Why does it work for you?

11 comments:

  1. I use rounding because it is really easy and is quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Make it 10 because it makes it easier for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i use 9+ because it is easy for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to use the rounding strategy because it is cool and it helps me find my answer quicker!
    ~Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use rounding because it helps me guess numbers easier. - Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use rounding because it is easier to add the smaller numbers. -ANDREA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to use pattern blocks because it helps me count better.
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Add or subtract the 10s. It makes it more simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use rounding subtraction and addition because
    I think it is faster for me

    ReplyDelete
  10. If the questions is 34+16 I would leave the 34 and turn the 16 into 20

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use rounding because it is easier for me to count. Josh!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments appropriate. We are all learning from the comments made. Thank you